Sunday, December 26, 2010

Pandora on iPad

Tomorrow morning as the first iPads are delivered, we'll be launching an entirely new Pandora application built from the ground up for the iPad.

Pandora on iPad has been completely re-imagined for the iPad's big touch interface. I think of it as the ultimate lean-in Pandora experience. Just tap the Pandora icon and let the music play while you read about the bands and music you discover. Pass it back and forth with a friend and share your discoveries. My hope is that it can play the same role that the album cover did when I was a kid -- something concrete to enjoy and share as the music plays. There's something magical about that, and this really is a magical device.

For me, this is the culmination of an almost 20 year wait. Some kids go to college so they can become a doctor. Some go with the dream of success in business. Some go in pursuit of knowledge. Some go just to have a good time.

I went so I could work at Apple.

That's not a joke, or an exaggeration. I literally went with that singular goal and by some stroke of incredible luck, I managed to land a job there upon my graduation 18 years ago. Working at Apple was an amazing experience; the company is full of incredible people driven by a desire to change the world. During my four years there I saw all sorts of incredible products: some commonplace (the PowerBook), some infamous (the Newton) and some that never saw the light of day. Chief among those that were never released were all manner of "tablet" Macintoshes. Powered by pens and touch, these fabled devices where designed to set the Mac free from the confines of the keyboard. In the end though, it wasn't meant to be. We could never settle on the right combination of hardware, software, and economics that would make the machines practical and popular.

None the less, there was something incredible about even those early experiments, and I've waited almost 20 years for some variety of tablet from Apple that would finally resolve all the issues and get the formula right. So it's with great anticipation that I look forward to the launch of the iPad tomorrow.

I'll be in line at an Apple Store with everyone else to pick mine up. If you decide to do the same, I hope you'll give Pandora on iPad a listen and let us know what you think. We'd love the feedback.

Veronika Vaeková Eve Brittany Lee Daisy Fuentes Asia Argento

No comments:

Post a Comment